Thursday, November 17, 2011

Santa Claus is Dead...

at least he soon will be if pop culture hacks have their way.

     Let me explain.  There's a new Santa movie coming out this season called Arthur Christmas and it's trailer leads you to believe that Santa Claus is a position passed down through a family that keeps the spirit of Christmas alive.  Sounds good on paper, not opposed to the idea but I'd just like to say...

I WANT MY CHILDHOOD STORIES BACK!

     I know, I know, they're still there.  I can go watch them on tape or DVD or streaming whenever I want... at least most of them but what are we doing to the next generations by constantly re-inventing mythologies.  I agree that times change and stories morph and grow... but in my lifetime Santa has gone from a nice old man that delivers toys made by elves with unknown origins (of course egged into pop culture by Coca-Cola) to a point where now I don't know what to believe.  There are too many options to influence me one way or another... too many people in entertainment trying to decide what I should believe by placing it in front of me and seeing what I latch on to.

    What happened to the mystery? What happened to the sense of wonder because there was no explanation?  Can I have my own imagination back at least when it comes to Santa Claus?

(and F@#% you Lucas and your Midi-Chlorians)

No comments:

Post a Comment